coal mining camp

Photo exhibit showcases 1930s-era Consumers coal mining ...

Sep 04, 2018· "Life in a Utah Coal Camp: Dorothea Lange's photographs of Consumers Mining Camp, 1936" offers the community a rare opportunity to experience its own, local history and heritage, memorialized through the lens of the woman widely considered …

ALABAMA MINE MAP REPOSITORY

The Alabama Mine Map Repository for underground mines is located in the ... In the year 1827, the first coal mining in Walker County occurred (Armes, Chronological Table). Armes quotes Joel C. Dubose: "The numerous ... They pitched camp near a branch emptying into Daileys Creek. They gathered some stones out of the bed

Mining community - Wikipedia

A mining community, also known as a mining town or a mining camp, is a community that houses miners.Mining communities are usually created around a mine or a quarry

Black Star Coal Mining Camp

Black Star Coal Mining Camp Alva, Kentucky Black Star Reunion is Saturday August 18, 2018, at Cumberland Inn, Williamsburg, KY. Contact Wanda Gold at 865-207-7606 for Reservations. 8-16-18 Added "Items of Interest from Janet Barnette of Nashville, Tennessee. Link in RED at bottom of page.

Life in the Coal Camps - The Library of ia.

Mining coal was seasonal; demand fell during the summer months and miners' families gardened and worked at other jobs to make ends meet. The interviews also record the changing relationship among miners, their families, and the coal companies.

e-WV | Exhibit: Coal Miners and Coal Camps

Share Coal Miners and Coal Camps Established in 1937 as part of the New Deal, the Farm Security Administration sought to help needy farmers during the Great Depression. As part of the agency's efforts, FSA photographers traveled the country, capturing images that called attention to rural poverty.

Barthell Coal Camp, Kentucky

Dating back to 1902, Barthell was the first of 18 mining camps belonging to the Stearns Coal and Lumber Co. "With love and hard work, we have reconstructed the Barthell Coal Mining Camp from old photographs along with oral and written history."

Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp - Stearns, Kentucky - Local ...

Posts about Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp. Jesse Carter is with Tommy Russell and 11 others at Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp. Sp S on S so S red S · September 16 at 4:52 PM · Stearns, KY · Had a great ride with a great group of friends this weekend.

Barthell Coal Mining Camp, Barthell, Kentucky | Kentucky ...

Barthell Coal Mining Camp is located in Barthell, Kentucky. The camp was in operation from 1902 to 1948. There was a 2 to 4 foot seam of coal that ran throughout the mountain, at least 12 miles of it, the depth at which this company mined.

Appalachian Coal Mining Towns - YouTube

Oct 03, 2011· Remnants of days gone by - Coal camps in West ia, ia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. Photos courtesy of

Life on Rum Creek Hollow: Living in the Coal Camp

Nov 22, 2011· To get a clear picture of what a coal camp looks like picture the sea shore with the sand everywhere, well that is the same for a coal camp, except coal dust is everywhere and everything is black. The summer time in a coal camp was loads of fun for kids.

Barthell Coal Camp Private Tours (Stearns) - 2018 All You ...

Aug 06, 2018· Our family chose the Barthell Coal Mining Camp to visit after we missed a chance to ride the nearby Big South Fork Scenic Railway. This site was by …

General Information - Coal Mine - City of Beckley

Tour the underground mine, visit the Coal Camp, the Museum and the Gift Shop stocked with West ia items & freshly made fudge in a variety of flavors. The hands-on exhibitions and underground coal mining tour offer wonderful opportunities for our visitors to learn, explore, interact and share.

1931 - 1939 -Growing Up In the Coal Mine Camps - Blogger

Feb 06, 2012· 1931 – 1939 – Growing Up in the Coal Mine Camps I thought I would give a little more background about the mining camps that mother was raised in. I believe it was this raising, which gave her part of her strength of character as well as the way she looked at the world.

Blue Heron, Kentucky - Official Site

Blue Heron, also known as Mine 18, is an abandoned coal mining town and was a part of the Stearns Coal and Lumber Company's past operation. The Blue Heron mines operated from 1937, until December, 1962, when operations were no longer profitable.

CoalPatchTowns - Homestead

Coal companies built "coal patch" or "coal camp" villages and towns near their coal mines throughout Kentucky and other coal mining states. Coal patch villages and towns differed from other villages and towns in that they were not incorporated, did not have elected officials and were wholly owned by the coal company which controlled who ...

25 Photos of 1930s and 1940s Kentucky Coal Camps

25 Photos of Kentucky Coal Camps During the 1930s and 1940s. Kentucky is home to Pike County, which is the largest supplier of coal in the U.S. However, we were also home to many other coal companies all across the state.

Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp in Kentucky: A Coal Mine Worth ...

Apr 01, 2018· A coal mine may not sound like it's worth a side trip, but Kentucky's Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp certainly is. You can get there via the Big South Fork Scenic Railway, an open-air train based in the small town of Stearns.

SOUTHERN WEST IA COALFIELDS - coalcampusa.com

This is a presentation of historically significant coal mining towns in Southern West ia. A coal camp is a town where everything was built and owned by a coal company, including schools, churches, stores, theatres, and residential structures.

Barthell Coal Camp, Kentucky

The "Company Houses" at the Barthell Coal Mining Camp are unique in that they are reconstructed on original sites from original floor plans of the original by the Stearns Coal and Lumber Company in the early 20th century with the exception of added bathrooms.

Underground Tour - City of Beckley

Lovingly restored, the Coal Company House, Superintendent's Home, Pemberton Coal Camp Church, and the Helen Coal Camp School, give visitors a true representation of early 20th century coal camp life. The Exhibition Coal Mine operates on a seasonal schedule, opening on …

Coal town - Wikipedia

A coal town, also known as a coal camp or patch is typically situated in a remote place and provides residences for a population of miners to reside near a coal mine. A coal town is a type of company town or mining community established by the employer, a mining …

Harlan County, Kentucky Coal Camps - Coal Education

COMPANY: COMMUNITY: COUNTY: YEARS OF OPERATION: EMPLOYEES: Ages Ridge Coal Company: Ages: Harlan: 1914-1915: 75: East Harlan Coal Company: Ages: Harlan: 1916-1932 ...

West ia Coal Camps in the 1940's - We Heart WV

Nov 15, 2015· In case you've forgotten, life in a West ia coal camp was never that easy. But it's what our parents and grandparents and great grand parents lived everyday.

Mining Camp Restaurant

56 years ago, the Mining camp restaurant opened its doors to the public, since then we have shared many fond memories, enjoyed the many friends that we have made, and it has been our pleasure serving the public. We wish to thank you for your confidence in choosing us.

Kentucky Coal Heritage - Hardburly, Kentucky

Hardburly, Kentucky Perry County View of part of the mining camp ca 1923. This coal town lies at the head of Jake Branch of Trace Fork of Lotts Creek, 3 1/2 miles nw of Hazard. It was founded by and named for the Hardy Burlington Mining Co. The post office was established on April 17, 1918.

Historical Coal Camp Company Store

Walk in the footsteps of the coal minin g families. Hear untold stories,experience legends and lore making the West ia coal mining era a Heritage not to be forgotten. This very unique architectural structure sold everything from candy to caskets, and was the center of the coal camp life.

Buxton, Iowa's "Charley Bloom Home", a Coal Mining Camp ...

The Charley Bloom home now stands alone on top of a hill as if it is guarding the valley below that once was the downtown of the Buxton coal mining camp. I call that area, Buxton Park. The Park area has now been leased to the Monroe County Historical Museum by the Kreegel family who own the land that encompasses Buxton Park.